Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy

What A-levels do you need to study drama?

Are you thinking of taking a drama degree? Find out which A-level combinations will offer you the widest degree options...

If you’re planning to study drama at university (the criticism and analysis of drama rather than focusing on performance we've got tips helping you choose between these courses here), an A-level in English literature or English language and literature will keep all courses open to you.

You don’t necessarily need an A-level in drama and theatre studies to study a degree in drama, although a few courses might ask for it.

Essential A-levels (or equivalent)

  • Some courses require English literature.
  • A few courses ask for English and / or theatre studies.

Useful A-levels (or equivalent)

  • English literature.
  • English literature and language.
  • Theatre studies.


Other typical A-levels taken by current drama students

Take a look at individual drama courses on Which? University to find out the most popular subjects university drama students studied before attending university. 

Do note that many degrees will be open to you whichever A-levels you choose. Some courses will be happy with a subject just at AS-level while some courses may want the full A-level, so this is something to check before you finalise your A-level choices in Year 12.

Similar subject areas...

Similar subjects may have slightly different A-level requirements to drama, so if you want to keep your degree options open, be sure to check the entry requirements of individual courses before you finalise your choices.


Where could your A-levels take you?

Enter your A-level choices below to find out

    Add another subject

Search Which? University

Find further advice or search for information on a course or university

Expert tips for uni - straight to your inbox
Free to students, teachers and parents
Sign me up