Open day questions: veterinary science students
Planning to study veterinary science at uni? Want to know what questions you should be asking at your open day? Look no further with the following checklist...
About your course
- Are my lecturers also practitioners?
- What work experience do I need to have to get on this course?
- How much of this course focuses on ethics, technical skills etc.
Facilities and equipment
- What books are necessary for me to buy?
- How much time will I be spending in the labs?
- Will I be placed somewhere outside of the uni for my clinical years?
Placements and work experience
- How much of the course is clinical practice?
- How many placements do I have? Do I organise my own placements?
- Do I have to do a certain amount of work experience in large animal, and small animal clinics or does it not matter?
- How the course is assessed – clinical assessment, exams, coursework?
- What is the weighting for each part/year of the course?
- Do I need to complete dissertation/ research based project?
Veterinary science graduate prospects
- Is it more important to get the best grade, or have a range of work experiences?
- How can I make the most out of this course?
- Where have other graduates gone on to work?