Higher and degree apprenticeships guide
Are your students thinking about a hands-on alternative to university? Our guide to apprenticeships explains how they can earn while they learn...
Quick guide to higher and degree apprenticeshipsUse these facts with your students to get them thinking about this route - then download our guide below for the full picture.
- Apprenticeships let you earn and learn simultaneously, from minimum wage up to £300 per week.
- You’ll be a paid employee of your company, with a contract of employment and holiday entitlement.
- Apprenticeships offer a package of work and study, where you’ll gain qualifications and hands-on experience while you work.
- Employers including Deloitte, BMW and the BBC take on apprenticeships and opportunities span across sectors, from engineering to law - you might be surprised by what’s on offer.
- In fact, there are more than 28,000 apprenticeship vacancies available, across more than 1,500 roles.
- A degree apprenticeship is a relatively new type of apprenticeship, which leads to a full university degree - but without the tuition fees.
- According to the Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills, 90% of apprentices stay employed after completing an apprenticeship.
Find out more, by going to our apprenticeship area. Filled with advice for budding apprentices you're advising.
Apprenticeships unwrappedInside our guide you'll find:
- What it takes to be an apprentice
- Subjects, universities, and employers involved in higher and degree apprenticeships
- A week in the life of an apprentice
- Finances - what you can earn and what it costs
- Long-term career prospects
- How to apply for a higher or degree apprenticeship.
What are degree apprenticeships?
New to degree apprenticeships? Watch (and share) our quick intro below:
University vs apprenticeship, which is right for your students?
Share our quick video with current and former uni and degree apprenticeship students comparing their experiences:
University or apprenticeship? We compare the two options here...