We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies as per our policy which also explains how to change your preferences.

Which bursaries and scholarships are available?

Financial support for students comes in all shapes and sizes – from universities to charities, fee waivers to scholarship schemes. Find out what you might be able to get...

While 40% of students told us that their living costs at uni were higher than expected (and 28% had struggled to manage these), six in ten students didn't apply for a bursary or scholarship at all*. 

Research by The Scholarship Hub suggests there are over £150 million in scholarships up for grabs each year. So don't leave cash on the table that you'll wish you had pocketed, later.

Find out below what bursary and scholarships are available, what your chances are of getting extra funding and some top application tips...

Read our quick guides to student finance in EnglandWalesScotland and Northern Ireland to see what you're already eligible for.

What's the difference between a bursary and scholarship?

Bursary, grant or scholarship schemes are available for students to help them financially while they study for a degree.

These terms are often used interchangeably as they share one important factor in common: unlike a student loan, they do not need to be repaid and can be a helpful source of free funding on your course.

Calculate your living costs
See how much you'll need to live on at your chosen university, with our student budget calculator.
See your living costs

Who can apply for a scholarship or bursary?

Despite what you might think, scholarships are not just for A* students or those on low incomes. Nearly 3/4 of students who told us they didn't apply for a scholarship or bursary said it was because they didn't think they'd be eligible in the first place:

There are scholarships, grants and bursaries given for all sorts of reasons you might not expect – from being a vegetarian to having the surname Graham (yes, really!). Students who have a great business idea or are keen writers, filmmakers or musicians can find something for them.

I received a scholarship in Civic Engagement by answering a few questions for the university about what I do outside of my studies. I achieved this particular scholarship for volunteering and helping my community. I received a £1000 cash sum, which funded my travel costs. In this contract I had to also complete 40 hours of volunteering and 10 hours as a student ambassador. Second Year Student | University Of East London

Here’s a quick guide to the different types of scholarships available:

  • Doing well in your exams - not always for straight A*s. Some universities offer money for ABB or less.
  • Musical talent: if you’re planning to perform while you’re at uni.
  • Personal circumstances: including where you come from, if you’ve been in care, what your parents do for a living, your religion  or if you’re the first in your family to go to university.
  • Financial need: these are usually based on your household income and often called grants or bursaries.
  • Sporting achievement – if you’re competing at regional, national or international level in a sport, many universities offer scholarships to attract the best talent, so you can help them win competitions!
  • Industry scholarships – offered to attract new talent into a career or industry and will often include work experience as part of the offer. It may even lead to a job when you graduate.
  • Interests and hobbies – there are some scholarships which are based on your extra-curricular activities such as community work.
  • And the rest – some schemes are open to all subjects and universities, usually requiring you to submit an essay or video.

Students who scored extra funding share their top tips for funding

Learned something useful?
Get more tips for applying to uni, right when you need them most. Add yourself to our email list.
Our emails are packed with advice for getting in and getting on at uni, along with useful information about other Which? Group products and services that can help you make good decisions.
  • No spam and you can unsubscribe at any time - see our privacy policy.
    Close panel
    Thank you!
    You’re all signed up. Look out for your welcome email from us shortly.
    Oh, no!
    Sorry, there's been an error. If you experience persistent problems, please contact us at whichuniversity@which.co.uk
    Try again

    Where to look for bursaries and scholarships

    Don't be one of the 15% of students who didn't apply for these valuable sources of extra funding, because they didn't know where to look. Here are a few pointers to set you in the right direction...:

    Your university: if you know where you will be studying, the first place to check is your university’s website to see what it offers. Some are automatically allocated, but not all, so don’t assume they will contact you if you are eligible. 

    Tip: Make sure you give permission to share your details when you apply to the Student Loan Company, as this is how universities find out if you are eligible for scholarships related to financial need.

    Charities and organisations: not all bursaries and scholarships come from universities. Research some of the smaller organisations which give grants for educational support – the charity Turn2Us is a good source of trusts and charities, while The Guide to Educational Grants book is another useful resource. 

    Tip: many schemes are offered to students worldwide, so don’t let the mention of Dollars or Euros stop you from applying!

    The Scholarship Hub website: if you don’t know what you want to do yet, search and compare the database of scholarship schemes on The Scholarship Hub. Register (for free) to see listings for each university as well as those not linked to particular universities.

    Tip: when you search, think broader than the subject you're studying – and don't forget to check out scholarships open to all students.

    Examples of bursary and scholarship schemes

    Note that deadlines for applying differ from scheme to scheme, and year to year. So don't simply look once - we'd recommend checking fairly regularly throughout the year for new opportunities as they open.

    What are my chances of getting a bursary or scholarship?

    In the same way as you wouldn’t just apply for one job and then give up when you hear nothing back, applying for scholarships and grants can be hard work.

    Persevere and keep looking throughout your studies and not just when you’re applying to university. An average scholarship is worth around £1,500 so the effort can pay off.
    There can be other benefits, too, according to this Lloyds Scholar student:

    Being a Lloyds scholar has been invaluable to me. It has helped me in several ways from gaining a summer internship to improving my prioritisation skills and ultimately making sure I enjoy every second at university.

    When The Scholarship Hub spoke to 20 organisations who offer bursary or scholarship schemes earlier this year, you might be surprised to hear that half said they had to work hard to attract applicants. So your chances of being successful are higher than you think!

    Which? University provides guest spots to external experts. Karen Kennard is Director of The Scholarship Hub, a social enterprise helping students find alternative funding sources for their university studies. 

    * Data source: Which? University Student Survey 2018, conducted by Youthsight on behalf of Which?, with 5,000 students at UK universities from March-April 2018.

    Search Which? University

    Find further advice or search for information on a course or university

    Expert tips for uni - straight to your inbox
    Free to students, teachers and parents
    Sign me up