Open day questions: PR, media and journalism students
Budding reporter or public relations officer? If you're heading off to a university open day to find out more about a prospective course, here are the key questions you should ask.
About the course
- Are my lecturers also still working in industry?
- How much of the course is theory and how much is practical?
- What skills will I learn on this course? E.g. shorthand, IT skills…
Facilities and equipment
- What books are necessary for me to buy?
- How much time will I need to spend studying each week?
- Will we get to work with equipment? Cameras?
Placements and work experience
- Should I look for relevant work experience before I do this course - is it needed?
- Do I need to arrange placements during this course?
- What is the split between exam/coursework/Group works/Presentations?
- Do I need to complete dissertation/ research based project?
- How should I choose the subject of my dissertation?
- How much do placements count towards grades?
- How could I make the most out of this course?
- Does the uni have contacts in industry I can use?
- What do previous graduates go on to do?