Open day questions: maths and statistics students
Budding mathematician? If you're heading off to a university open day to find out more about a prospective course, here are the key questions you should ask. Print them off and take them along with you...
About the course
- Do I have to do further maths at A-level to study maths at degree level? Even if not, will most students have this?
- What's the course split between different areas of mathematics, and between applied and theoretical areas of study?
- Can I do optional modules in another subject while on this course?
- How much one-to-one support is available from tutors?
Equipment and facilities
- Is there any specialist equipment I'll need?
- Which books do I need to buy?
- What is the split between exams and coursework?
- Do I need to complete dissertation/ research-based project?
- What is the weighting for each year of the course?
Going the extra mile
- What have graduates on this course gone on to do?
- How can I make the most out of this course?