Open day questions: architecture students
Is architecture the right course for you? What books do you need to buy? Find out by asking tutors these need-to-know questions when you're out at an open day...
About the course
- Is the course accredited?
- Who will be teaching me?
- What's the split between critical thinking / theory and practical, project-based work?
- How much drawing and modelling is involved, and how much of that will be digital?
- How many portfolios will I need to complete? Will I be exhibiting my work at all?
Equipment and facilities
- What books do I need to buy?
- What drawing equipment / tools do I need to buy? How much will this add up to?
- Do I need a computer with specialist design programs? Do you recommend any?
Work experience / placements
- Will I spend a year working for an architects? Do I need to arrange this myself?
- How will my placements be assessed? Does it count towards my final mark?
- Will I be paid when on a placement?
- What's the split between exams / coursework / group projects?
- Does my portfolio make up a high proportion of my overall mark?
- Do I need to complete a research-based project or dissertation?
Going the extra mile
- How can I get the most out of this degree?
- Does the university have good contacts within the industry?
- What are my chances of getting a job at the end of this course?