What engineering apprenticeships are there?
Are you interested in engineering but unsure about going down the university route? A degree apprenticeship may be for you…
Watch now: What are degree apprenticeships?
What does an apprentice engineer do?As an engineer apprentice you will not only solve real-world problems, but also earn an above-average salary in an industry where your skills will be in demand.
Engineering UK suggests a need for 186,000 new engineers each year until 2024 to address the skills shortage, so it’s a career very much in demand.
What sectors could you work in as an engineer?The opportunities in engineering are many and varied. Take a look at the industries that require engineers and consider which would interest you: food, cosmetics, automotive, aeronautical, rail, water and energy supply, construction, health, sport, music and more.
Average salary for an engineering apprenticeship
The average salary for an apprenticeship in the engineering or manufacturing industry is £17,440, according to RateMyApprenticeship’s Top 100 Employers 2018-2019.
Top employers for engineering apprentices
Top employers for engineering apprenticeships dominate the first three spots of the top 100, with BAE Systems (#1), National Grid (#2) and BAM Nutall (#3).
Where can I find out more about engineer apprenticeships?
Read our guide to find out more on the following areas, including what engineering apprenticeships are available:
- Learn about degree or higher engineer apprenticeships and their perks, including how to earn a degree without the tuition fees while also being paid.
- Find information on the different sectors you could work in within engineering, including food, transport and energy, and learn about common apprenticeship roles.
- Understand how an apprenticeship compares with the university route and how apprenticeship levels correspond to higher education levels such as A-levels and degrees.
- See what engineer apprentices have learnt and how they feel about their apprenticeship scheme.
- Find out how and where to apply for engineering apprenticeship vacancies and which universities and colleges run schemes.
- Get the lowdown on exactly what employers are looking for when they hire apprentices, with guidance and tips on what to expect from the engineering recruitment cycle.