I'm doing the medical science programme at the university of Birmingham. you definitely get your monies worth in teaching hours on this course as i have on average about 23 hours of lectures/labs/tutorials a week in the first and second year. there is less lab work in this course compared to other similar courses (only a couple of hours a week) and a lot more of the theory as they are gearing you to become researchers rather than working in clinical labs. You learn about so many interesting things including pharmacology, the cardiovascular system, the digestive system, infection and many more. having such a range of modules allows you to see exactly what you enjoy the most, allowing you to make good module choices in third year. Another thing i liked about this course was that you didn't have any choice in your modules until third year - if i'd been given the choice in second year, there were modules i wouldn't have picked that actually turned out to be my favourites! however i believe that they have changed the course now so that you do have to choose in second year. There is quite a lot of coursework - usually an essay, a practical write up and a multiple choice test for each of the modules (10 modules in first year and 11 in second year) some modules have more and some less, but the coursework is worth 25% of the module over all. the other 75% is from the end of year exams. you receive your coursework back within 4 weeks with feedback from the marker and most of the lecturers are fairly easy to get hold of if you want to talk through it with them further. the facilities in birmingham are really great! all your lectures, labs and tutorials all take place in the medical school which has its own canteen, a spacious common room, a large computer room and its own library. Everything you need is in the med school which makes life so much easier as you will be spending a lot of time there. It is a lot of hard work, but I have really enjoyed it and I would really recommend it. and one last thing, even though first year 'doesn't count' still aim to do as well as you can as future employers will look at how consistent you are and if you plan to do a year in industry or a project during the summer of second year and apply for a bursary, they will give money based mainly on first year marks.